Packing Guidelines for YOBC 2018 Andalusia Tour
How Much Can I Bring?
- Carry-on (1) Must be under 9”d x14”w x 22”h including handles and wheels and fit in overhead bin or under seat.
- Personal Carry-on Item (1) Example: shoulder bag or backpack. Must be under 9”x 10” x17”
- Musical Instruments as Carry-on Luggage: Your instrument is your carry on if your instrument is within the carry-on size guidelines and you play: flute, clarinet, oboe, trumpet, saxophone, bassoon, trombone, French horns w/ detachable bells, snare drum. Smaller instruments may be placed in a carry-on bag.
- One Checked Luggage (under 50 lbs) not exceeding 62” linear inches (L+W+H), including handles & wheels
- Weigh Luggage before leaving home.
- United Air Packing Guidelines: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/travel/baggage.html
What Should I Bring?
General Packing Tips
- Pack Light – You must be able to carry your own luggage/musical equipment! Elevators not always available.
- Carry-on Guidelines – No sharp objects; liquid and gels must be in 4 oz. or smaller containers & placed collectively in a quart-sized zip-locked bag to be removed for inspection at security screening; for complete carry-on guidelines, refer to www.tsa.gov
- All Luggage – Do not lock luggage; place an identification card with name, address & phone #, on and in all checked and carry-on luggage including your instrument; YOBC will provide brightly colored ties to help identify all YOBC luggage.
- PARENTS MUST SUPERVISE PACKING!
Instrument Insurance and Transportation
- It is strongly recommended that all instruments be insured against loss of theft or damage. Insurance can be obtained as a rider to your homeowner’s insurance policy.
- All YOBC musicians will be responsible for packing their instruments in sturdy, properly fitting cases. Use bubble wrap to ensure the instrument is adequately protected. If you have 2 similar instruments, it is recommended that the least expensive instrument be taken on this trip.
- For stringed instruments, ease the tension on strings before traveling.
- Cellos, tuba, and large percussion instruments have been rented in Spain for student use.
- Music Stand: students must pack their own, portable music stands in their luggage. Students who share a stand need to coordinate with their stand partner to confirm who will be bringing the stand.
- Concert Music in Binder: All students need to bring their own music – even if they share music w/someone else.
- Instrument & Supplies: Instrument, equipment (mutes etc) & emergency supplies -extra reeds, strings, oil etc.
- Music Anchors: 4-5 chip/binder clips, clothes pins or combs to anchor music – outdoor concerts can be breezy
- Concert Attire
- Men– long sleeve black collared shirt, black trousers, black socks, black dress shoes
- Women– black blouse WITH sleeves (no tank tops or sleeveless), tea/ankle length black skirt/dress or slacks, black dress shoes (no stockings)
Clothing Temperatures will be very warm. Temperatures can reach over 100F in July. Plan accordingly
- YOBC logo shirt– MUST be worn on air travel days
- We will be visiting some sights where you are required to cover shoulders and knees. Make sure to pack some the below the knee shorts and/or dresses and shirts/blouses which cover your shoulders.
- Modest Bathing suit (1)
- Sunglasses and hat