We recommend that students consult with their private teacher or school music teacher in choosing music and preparing for their audition. Please prepare the following music for your audition.
- Prepared Solo: A prepared solo on snare drum is required
- Rudiments: Prepare a selection of rudiments, including a long roll, flam rudiment and drag rudiment, which demonstrate your current level of playing.
- Optional Solo: Students who have studied timpani and/or mallets should prepare a solo on these instruments as well. ADVANCED DIVISION: Timpani/Mallet experience preferred. Please prepare a solo on timpani and/or mallets in addition to snare.
- Mallet players should be prepared to play as many major scales and arpeggios as possible.
- Students will be tested on tuning timpani intervals, based on their level of experience.
- Sight reading will be asked on at least one instrument.
- Bring a list of the percussion instruments on which you have training and playing experience.
Please Note: All YOBC percussionists are required to participate in Percussion Ensemble and a band ensemble. Some students will also be recommended for participation in a YOBC orchestra (Symphony Orchestra or Philharmonia)
Possible ensemble placement includes:
- Wind Symphony – Intermediate Level (band)
- Junior Percussion Ensemble – Intermediate Level
- Wind Ensemble – Advanced II Level (band)
- Philharmonia – Advanced II Level (full orchestra)
- Fanfare Winds – Advanced I Level (band)
- Symphony Orchestra – Advanced I Level (full orchestra)
- Advanced Percussion Ensemble – Advanced I and II
Placement in an ensemble is at the sole discretion of YOBC music directors. Students do not audition for a specific ensemble. Guidelines for placement for our different ensembles are located under About YOBC/YOBC Curriculum.