Matthew Vaughn, Co-principal trombone Philadelphia Orchestra
Sunday, March 25, 2018
2:00 – 3:30 pm
All YOBC trombone students have been reserved a seat in the class. NO NEED TO REGISTER.
Trombone students and teachers who are NOT members of YOBC may sign-up to attend free of charge, but registration is required. Please note that space is limited. Applicants will be selected on a first-come-first-serve basis.
Application to Perform at the Master Class (YOBC Students Only)
5-6 YOBC students will have the opportunity to perform at the master class. Students wishing to apply should read the information below and complete the online application form. For additional information, check the requirements listed below.
Application deadline: SUNDAY, JANUARY 14, 2018
Eligible students: All YOBC Trombonists in Fanfare Winds, Wind Ensemble or Wind Symphony
When: Matthew Vaughn Master Class, Sunday, March 25, 2018
2:00 – 3:30 pm
You must be available for the entire master class.
Music Submission Deadline (piano accompaniment & extra solo part): February 4, 2018
You must purchase and submit the original piano accompaniment music and a copy of the solo part by Sunday, February 4, 2018. Please mail your music to YOBC c/o Colleen Sweetsir, 10 Hedgerow Drive, Fairless Hills, PA 19030. Please email Colleen at firstname.lastname@example.org if you need to make another arrangement. Please ensure that your name is clearly written on the front of the music. If you will not be performing the complete solo, please indicate the portion of the solo to be performed on both the solo and piano accompaniment parts.
The piano accompaniment must be original music. The extra solo part may be a copy.
Rehearsal with Accompanist:
Friday, March 23, 2018
5:00 – 9:30 pm
You will be assigned a 20-30 minute period to work with the accompanist. The schedule will be determined and sent to you at a later date. Attendance at the rehearsal is required.
Requirements for Performance in the Master Class (YOBC members only)
- Eligible YOBC students must submit an online application by the deadline date. Applications submitted after the deadline will not be considered.
- Final selection of students who will perform at the master class is at the sole discretion of the Music Director. All decisions are final.
- You must select a solo work to be performed that is 3 to 5 minutes in length. The work may be a complete solo, a movement or portion of a solo.
- You must seek guidance in selecting an appropriate solo from your private music teacher.
- You must include your solo choice on the application form.
- You must carefully and thoroughly prepare your music with the guidance of your private music teacher.
- Good preparation will also involve listening to recordings of your solo so you understand how the solo line fits with the accompaniment.
- Failure to properly prepare your music will result in disqualification from performance at the master class.
- YOBC will provide a piano accompanist for your performance at the master class and for one rehearsal in advance of the master class. You are required to attend the rehearsal with the accompanist.
- You must purchase and submit the piano accompaniment for your solo by the required due date to allow the accompanist adequate time to prepare the music. A separate copy of the solo part must be submitted with the piano accompaniment. If you will not be performing the complete solo, please indicate the portion of the solo to be performed on both the solo and piano accompaniment parts.
- Failure to submit piano accompaniment to YOBC by the deadline will result in disqualification from performance at the master class.