Did you know that a raisin dropped in a glass of fresh champagne will bounce up and down continuously from the bottom of the glass to the top, or that 40 percent of McDonalds’ profits come from the sales of Happy Meals? Sometimes what you don’t know about everyday things can surprise you.
If you have been involved with YOBC, chances are you know a lot about what we do. But here are five things that might surprise you:
- YOBC provides students with 70 hours of specialized training in classical music each year.
- YOBC instructors have years of teaching experience, advanced degrees in music education, and hold other professional positions in music education, conducting, and performance.
- YOBC’s Board of Directors is active in music advocacy and works with school districts to encourage the inclusion of robust school music programs.
- YOBC’s Board of Directors has raised over $18,400 in grants this year alone, to provide access to free music lessons and instruments through our Students-in-Concert outreach program in school districts whose music programs have been cut or eliminated.
- YOBC, along with the New York Philharmonic, the Philadelphia Orchestra, the Chicago Symphony, and over 250 other leaders in the music industry, are signatories to the League of American Orchestras “Statement of Common Cause: Orchestras Support In-School Music Education.”
YOBC recognizes the benefits that the study of instrumental music provides and works on every level to help ensure that robust music education programs are available for all students.